Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2024, 10:20 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brohm
Well it's a lovely result just the same, and it looks great sitting on that pad!

Nice looking launch area, too.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc - Starfighter Scorpion Centuri - Mini Dactyl Estes - F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc - Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark
Old 03-10-2024, 09:18 AM
Aggressor Aerospace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Those later red nose cones (compared to the early orange-red, as I call it) do have a tendency to bleed through. I recall about 10 years ago building a vintage Long Tom with the same PNC-89 as the MX-774 uses and it was one of the later red cones. It was to be painted white also and the primer was white. That red bled through the primer and two coats of primer. I sanded and re-primed. Same thing.

I finally did a couple coats of primer and let it set for a few weeks or so to hopefully cure really well, sanded lightly and then did a somewhat light finish coat in the hopes the last coat of paint would not soften up the primer underneath in any way. That seemed to do it, but it took a lot more effort to get that result than it should have. I don't recall the red nose cones acting that way back in the day, so maybe it has something to do with the age of the plastic also. Not sure.

Looks good scigs! Fly away!!

Earl

I don't believe it has anything to do with age. I have purchased several nose cone assortments from Apogee and I get the same problem, particularly with red and yellow cones. Like you said, the solution is at least two coats of primer, then hearty paint like Rusto!
Old 03-10-2024, 01:26 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by frognbuff
I don't believe it has anything to do with age. I have purchased several nose cone assortments from Apogee and I get the same problem, particularly with red and yellow cones. Like you said, the solution is at least two coats of primer, then hearty paint like Rusto!

Yes, it is hard to say what is the exact root cause. And it isn't a problem if one is painting the nose cone a dark color such as black or certainly red. But I think as long as that base coat (primer, however many coats but yes probably at least two) and then letting that cure for a good number of days such that the final finish coats don't re-soften, so to speak, those primer layers, your probably good. And make those final finish coats very light, at least to begin with to sorta seal in that primer coat. Then, that red does not seem to bleed through as much or any at all.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 03-10-2024, 01:42 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Yes, it is hard to say what is the exact root cause. And it isn't a problem if one is painting the nose cone a dark color such as black or certainly red. But I think as long as that base coat (primer, however many coats but yes probably at least two) and then letting that cure for a good number of days such that the final finish coats don't re-soften, so to speak, those primer layers, your probably good. And make those final finish coats very light, at least to begin with to sorta seal in that primer coat. Then, that red does not seem to bleed through as much or any at all.

Earl

Oh heck buddy, You know I have a large stash of unbuilt rockets, there is no way I am going to do all that........The pinkish nose is just part of the vintage process.
Old 03-10-2024, 02:06 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30
Oh heck buddy, You know I have a large stash of unbuilt rockets, there is no way I am going to do all that........The pinkish nose is just part of the vintage process.

Not sayin' you had to do it; just offering up what has worked for me in covering that kind of bleed through.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 03-10-2024, 05:49 PM
Master Modeler

I just wonder why they did red? Guillows and Sterling balsa model planes did the same thing with red plastic parts. Obviously later on Guillows and Sterling went to white making it much easier to paint. We may never know.
Old 03-10-2024, 06:07 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
I just wonder why they did red? Guillows and Sterling balsa model planes did the same thing with red plastic parts. Obviously later on Guillows and Sterling went to white making it much easier to paint. We may never know.

Hard to say.

As mentioned earlier, the original plastic color for most of their nose cones was a kind of an orange-red color, best I can describe. Not near as dark red as they went to by around the mid-70s onward.

And they did use other colors, too. Some of the nose ones at times were white; sometimes blue. I have examples of all those. White was probably the most-oft used other color, but I have seen and have a good number of blue plastic cones.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 03-11-2024, 07:23 AM
Lost his Drifter

Quote:
I just wonder why they did red?

To make it unnecessary to paint that part? That's the way I treated them as a youngster building Centuri rockets, unless the cone truly needed to be a different color.
MTMA Section #606 President