Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2019, 02:58 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
*sigh*

First and third pictures shows motor NOT properly engaged with the ring at the top of the motor mount even though it feels as if it's stopped against something. Second and fourth pictures show it when it IS properly engaged. This is not a Q-Jet thing. The same is possible with Estes motors.

It does take a little bit of force to get EITHER motor type properly pushed into that forward ring (see fifth image). And since a Q-Jet's case isn't as soft as an Estes motor's case you have to do this with intent. I found when trying to take these pictures that just tightening the retainer will push an Estes motor in all the way as the paper case will "give" a little. It doesn't feel like this would necessarily work with the harder Q-Jet.

Hmm, rather than a thin spacer maybe I’ll open the upper “centering ring” opening slightly so the QJet case can fully seat. Possible that the upper hex part of the QJet doesn’t go far enough through the center opening. I’ve been too busy the last two days to do any rocket work but now that school is out (I’ve been substituting since I retired last year - it’s a hoot! Most days ) I can do some more fiddling with the Saturn. I like the modify the rocket idea better - simple solutions are my favorites.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:31 PM
Avid Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_650
Hmm, rather than a thin spacer maybe I’ll open the upper “centering ring” opening slightly so the QJet case can fully seat. Possible that the upper hex part of the QJet doesn’t go far enough through the center opening. I’ve been too busy the last two days to do any rocket work but now that school is out (I’ve been substituting since I retired last year - it’s a hoot! Most days ) I can do some more fiddling with the Saturn. I like the modify the rocket idea better - simple solutions are my favorites.

Scott,
I think I see what the problem is. When loading a Q-Jet, at the first "stop", try rotating slowly and see if it drops a little more. The flat part of the hex needs to line up properly to clear the ring and fully seat the motor.

Last edited by BARGeezer : 05-29-2019 at 05:49 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:47 AM
Master Modeler

I don’t think the hex-shaped ejection charge container is the problem here (as it is if the upper end of a motor hook is past a certain length) - the opening in the upper ring is plenty big enough to clear it. That said, a little twisting while pushing the motor in all the way may help.

Mainly just don’t be afraid to push it in firmly until it stops the second time and there’s ~1/8 of an inch of motor sticking out of the lower end of the mount.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 05-31-2019, 04:21 AM
Avid Builder

Instead of a motor tube the engine is held in place by two plastic rings fore and aft. So when inserting the Q-Jet it is easy to slide it in slightly off center to a "stop" even though it's not fully seated. See first pic. The hex is hanging up on the ring. Twisting will ensure it is centered and seated.
I encountered another small problem even before launch: when picking the model up the upper section above the separation point broke off. The plastic bulkhead with the parachute attachment is glued to the transition shroud with two drops of glue. So it is just tacked on. I reglued it with a full ring of modeling cement. See second pic. With the forces at ejection and the snap of chute opening this could be a problem if not attended to.
But overall still pleased with this model. Hope to be even more pleased after the first launch.
Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  0530192258.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  571.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  0530192302.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  768.1 KB  
Old 05-31-2019, 03:22 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARGeezer
Instead of a motor tube the engine is held in place by two plastic rings fore and aft. So when inserting the Q-Jet it is easy to slide it in slightly off center to a "stop" even though it's not fully seated. See first pic. The hex is hanging up on the ring. Twisting will ensure it is centered and seated.
I encountered another small problem even before launch: when picking the model up the upper section above the separation point broke off. The plastic bulkhead with the parachute attachment is glued to the transition shroud with two drops of glue. So it is just tacked on. I reglued it with a full ring of modeling cement. See second pic. With the forces at ejection and the snap of chute opening this could be a problem if not attended to.
But overall still pleased with this model. Hope to be even more pleased after the first launch.
Cheers.

Not sure if this is going to be enough of a frequent flier to justify modding the shock cord setup but it doesn’t look like it would be too hard - removing the rear engine plate/bulkhead is straightforward, just Phillips screws, and that gives you plenty’s of access to attach a shock cord inside the engine compartment rather than the inside of the paper body tube liner. Though, now that I think of it, I might just need a second one to have some fun with - especially a more prototypical paint scheme, 24mm engine mount, detailed LES tower (NO, not THAT )
Old 05-31-2019, 03:30 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARGeezer

Hmmmmm......I’ll have to check the one I’m flying for that. It’s stayed together for three flights so far.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 06-01-2019, 10:44 PM
Wasted away again.......

A moderate breeze, off and on. I'm going to order one tomorrow, and some D10's also.
Old 06-02-2019, 12:15 AM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

I saw two of these models fly at the local launch.

The wind was variable but mostly around 4 MPH.

One of the Saturns flew with a C6-3. It worked fine but it was underwhelming and had started to arc over just before burnout.

The other Saturn had an AeroTech D10 motor. Wow! That thing really scooted!

No instability or recovery issues on either flight.
Old 06-02-2019, 08:49 PM
Wasted away again.......

At our launch on the Saturday of the Memorial Day weekend, we did have intermittent breezes. Both flights were fine under power, then went end over end. I suppose, by definition, that they were not unstable. But they were not pretty. I'm ordering both a D10-3 and a D10-5 for mine, to see if that improves the flights.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:40 PM
Avid Builder

The fin unit and the upper half are now available as replacement parts on the Estes website. The clear PFU is tailored to attach behind a 2" tube, so scratchers can use this to make "finless" models like a 2" (fill in the blank): Gemini Titan, Mercury Atlas ( with the plastic Mercury capsule set now also available), Polaris, Poseidon, MX missile, etc. etc.
Use four short dowel pins to secure the PFU along with an aluminum 18mm retainer, or make your own.
BTW does anybody else think that it would be great if Estes sold that plastic 18mm retainer used in this kit separately? I would buy a bunch of those. Laters.