PDA

View Full Version : New Guy...

mastronaut
04-22-2006, 10:40 AM
Hey all, I found this forum searching for other things and thought I'd sign up!I'm currently re-working my Estes Saturn V. I built it about 2 years ago and after reading this article on line, http://www.spacecamp.com/saturnv/ I decided it was time for my own restoration project. I'm in the process of planning the re-paint phase, and figuring out how to get new decals for it. I'm really sucking up loads of info about schemes and details to bring it back to pristine shape and including as much detail as possible. I will not be flying it, It will be a display piece. I will be building an Estes Titan III E I picked up recently (for cheap money) and that one will fly. I wonder where I might locate a launch post for it. Any help there would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

A Fish Named Wallyum
04-22-2006, 12:27 PM
Hey all, I found this forum searching for other things and thought I'd sign up!I'm currently re-working my Estes Saturn V. I built it about 2 years ago and after reading this article on line, http://www.spacecamp.com/saturnv/ I decided it was time for my own restoration project. I'm in the process of planning the re-paint phase, and figuring out how to get new decals for it. I'm really sucking up loads of info about schemes and details to bring it back to pristine shape and including as much detail as possible. I will not be flying it, It will be a display piece. I will be building an Estes Titan III E I picked up recently (for cheap money) and that one will fly. I wonder where I might locate a launch post for it. Any help there would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Do you mean a launch rod? I'd think any good size hardware store would be able to come up with something for you. Barring that, there's always the old "straighten a coathanger" method that my friends and I used a "few" years back. ;)

mastronaut
04-22-2006, 12:46 PM
Never thought of that, the rod is rather thick, I think it's the same one used for the Saturn V. The Titan is 2.5 feet tall so I don't think the coat hanger would cut it. Thanks for the quick reply! :D

tbzep
04-22-2006, 01:12 PM
The Saturn V and Titan IIIE use 3/16" lugs. Stop by a hardware store like Bill said and pick up a 3/16" steel rod. They usually have them in 3 or 4 foot lengths. Either length will be fine, but no shorter than 3 ft. It will rust easily after use, so wipe it down with a lightly oiled rag after you've finished launching. If you don't, you will end up having to use steel wool or a scotchbrite pad to knock the rust off the rod before you use it the next time.

mastronaut
04-22-2006, 01:48 PM
That's great! Thanks, I still need to assemble it first, but I will definately do that when launch time comes.... ;)

PaulK
04-22-2006, 11:02 PM
Hey all, I found this forum searching for other things and thought I'd sign up!
Welcome to YORF, its a friendly place for OCD rocket types to hang out. ;)

I will not be flying it, It will be a display piece.
You should launch it at least once, to get that nice BP smell :D

-Paul

mastronaut
04-23-2006, 08:53 AM
Thanks fot the warm welcome! I'm an armchair rocket scientist, so this works out great!

bikegod
04-24-2006, 06:55 AM
Michaels sells the actual 3/16 rod as well, though they are two piece and probably more expensive than going to the hardware store. I think the Estes one may be chrome plated (or just chromium).

How 'bout some pics?

dwmzmm
04-24-2006, 09:45 AM
Michaels sells the actual 3/16 rod as well, though they are two piece and probably more expensive than going to the hardware store. I think the Estes one may be chrome plated (or just chromium).

How 'bout some pics?

I got my 3/16" rod from Home Depot...much, much cheaper than buying the two piece from
the hobby stores. As mentioned in some of the previous posts, you'll have to maintain the
HD rods after launch, as they'll get rusty before your next launch. I just use strong paper
towels to wipe mine down after the last launch of the afternoon and wipe it from time to
time during storage before using it again.

mastronaut
04-24-2006, 11:02 AM
Just curious, about how much did you pay at Home Depot for the rod? I think that is the most viable option for me. Thanks....P.S. how do you put up photos? Sorry for the ignorance. :D

mastronaut
04-24-2006, 11:09 AM
I found a cool link for pics and info for the Estes Titan III here: http://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/oop/est_titan_iii.html I only hope mine comes out as nice as this one ;)

Ltvscout
04-24-2006, 01:54 PM
P.S. how do you put up photos? Sorry for the ignorance. :D
If you scroll down a bit when you're in the message editor, you'll see a button that says, "Manage Attachments." Click on that to put pics into your messages.

barone
04-24-2006, 05:22 PM
Just as a side note for protecting your launch rod......

I keep mine in a four foot section of 3/4" schedule 40 PVC. Glued a cap on one end and a screw on adapter and cap on the other. Wipe them down with WD-40 before storing. Don't need to worry about rust or getting them bent...... :)

Don
NAR 53455

dwmzmm
04-24-2006, 05:28 PM
Just curious, about how much did you pay at Home Depot for the rod? I think that is the most viable option for me. Thanks....P.S. how do you put up photos? Sorry for the ignorance. :D

This was nearly three years ago, so my memory is somewhat fuzzy; I do recall paying about
$5.00 for two rods (the 3/16" & an 1/8"). I personally prefer the one piece rods as those
two piece rods will eventually break where they join. That suggestion of using the PVC
tubes is correct...that's the best way to store them when not in use. Virtually all of the modroc clubs here in Texas use them for storage.

tbzep
04-28-2006, 06:51 PM
If you want to keep pictures available for multiple forums, try Photobucket.

http://photobucket.com/