PDA

View Full Version : Estes Python 4 ASRAAM #2054


Jeff Walther
08-12-2009, 12:30 PM
I ran into two very minor oddities when building this kit.

First, the instructions explain how to cut the tail cone from the transition, and trim *both* of them for use. But in practice, the plastic transition is never used. I guess they had this molding left over from a different kit. Still, you would think the instructions wouldn't tell you to trim the unused transition, but perhaps they lifted that section of the instructions from another kit with a copy and paste.

Second, the instructions say to glue the conduits (card stock appliques) 1.5" from the end of the body tube. However, the photos show the conduits flush with the leading edge of the fins. Putting the conduits 1.5" from the end of the tube puts them about 1/4" ahead of the leading edge of the fins.

Anyone have similar experiences or any comments?

samb
08-12-2009, 04:23 PM
Hi Jeff,

I have one of these that's been in primer on the bench for quite a while. I've got the conduits on according to the instructions and it just doesn't look right (although I have no scale data to back that up). BTW, here is a link from TRF V1 with good info:

http://www.rocketryforumarchive.com/showthread.php?t=4010&highlight=python

Here is another; I am attempting the mod to the forward fins that Bruce Levison mentioned:

http://www.rocketryforumarchive.com/showthread.php?t=11337&highlight=python


I'll try to post some pictures when I get home.

Sam

Jeff Walther
08-12-2009, 06:27 PM
Ah, thanks, Sam. From the pictures of the Python in the links you provided, it appears that the conduits and the fins atop them really should be butted up against the main fins, and not attached as per the instructions.

Oh, well. I built it before I posted, so it's too late.

I guess I could go crazy, detach everything, cut out new card stock conduits, and reglue everything, but that's not going to happen. If I ever need to clone this guy, I'll do it right on the next try.

I wonder if the BT-55 boat tails which are available have the same basic shape as this tail cone. If so, that would make it pretty easy to clone. The nose cone has that little ridge, though.