PDA

View Full Version : Few Questions on Aerotech Rockets

bkent1@mac.com
07-15-2008, 10:48 PM
All,

Just finished building my first aerotech rocket and had a couple of questions.

1. With the 29mm RMS hardware, how long can you store them once you load it? Is their any hazard in loading the hardware and leaving that lying around for a week or so until a launch?

2. Not sure if the plastic they use for the nose cone is any different than other rockets but will Krylon Spray Paint work well on the plastic pieces. Believe its called high impact polystyrene.

3. I used the Pacer medium viscosity glue on the fins and they clamp into a fin lock as well. Would I get any additional benefit in putting epoxy filets around the fins? Max altitude on this is around 2k with a G RMS engine.

4, One more question...can you really use Vaseline instead of the Synco Super Lube Grease? Is their any other type of grease that can be substitutef or the Synco brand?

Thanks,

Bill Kent

Royatl
07-15-2008, 11:02 PM
All,

Just finished building my first aerotech rocket and had a couple of questions.

1. With the 29mm RMS hardware, how long can you store them once you load it? Is their any hazard in loading the hardware and leaving that lying around for a week or so until a launch?

2. Not sure if the plastic they use for the nose cone is any different than other rockets but will Krylon Spray Paint work well on the plastic pieces. Believe its called high impact polystyrene.

3. I used the Pacer medium viscosity glue on the fins and they clamp into a fin lock as well. Would I get any additional benefit in putting epoxy filets around the fins? Max altitude on this is around 2k with a G RMS engine.

Thanks,

Bill Kent

1. I've stored them for long periods of time with no problems. Some will recommend loosening the closures just ever so slightly, but I see no point in it, and some harm may come of it (ostensibly it is to reduce pressure on the o-rings... but these are the same o-rings that are permanently in the single use motors, so I say once tightened, leave it.
Have you installed the ejection charge? Even bigger reason not to loosen it. If not, that will be the only caution I will give, that you remember you've got to install the ejection charge before flying. Some forget and treat the completed motor like a single-use... pop it into the rocket without installing the ejection charge. Hilarity ensues! :(

2. Krylon should work well with it. Styrenes are good, Urethanes are problematic.

3. depends on what you want to happen when the rocket lands on asphalt or hard ground at an awkward angle. The fins are designed, sort of, to just pop off, ready to be reinstalled and flown again (of course, things happen like the fin locks break). Putting an epoxy fillet will anchor it, and it may break elsewhere, where the fin won't be so easy to fix or replace. I'd reserve the epoxy fillet for when the fin lock breaks and you can't anchor it there anymore.